“I’ve gotta drop that bit about fat people, I like saying it but it’s just not going over.”
“Or go all in on it….”
“DROPPING A BIT”
So, what if the bit doesn’t get laughs?…
- Do some word association to discover all the parallel ideas to the premise
(i.e. if the premise is “Camera Phones are weird” then think about everything that relates to Cameras and Phones…
- then write down what those things lead to and then what those things lead to and so on…
- Free write on the premise and see where you mind goes.
- Think about what parts of the joke or premise get any reaction at all and then expound more in that direction.
- Think about alternate angles that might stay true to what you like about the premise but go in a direction that might go over with the crowd better.
You might not be able to perfect it right away and you might have to give it a break, but hey, you’re a comedian – Right? – So don’t give up on your brilliant ideas.
- I’ve heard another comics take on it that blew me out of the water and I fully believe that it’s not worth my time to try to offer my take on it anymore
….. I once had some hot takes on FB posts, but after hearing another comic riff on the topic at a show I booked, I figured why bother anymore… (that comic was Jamel Johnson BTW.. if you haven’t heard of him yet, you probably will soon… and actually, now you have… go look him up.)
- If the joke was topical and the time has passed or if it was about a local or regional thing that not everyone will get…
….. Topical material is great, but it’s got a short shelf life. I had a brilliant bit once about Ryan Lochte the Olympic Swimmer, but who cares about that guy anymore…. likewise, when I lived in Baltimore, I had a great bit about the “Giant” Grocery Chain, but no one is going to get that joke if they don’t shop at Giant, so I’ve put it to rest until such a time that I’m in the range of another Giant… and actually if Ryan Lochte makes headlines again I’ll drag about that bit again (notice how non-commital I actually am to abandoning jokes)
- If I have no idea what I thought was funny about it.
- “how come beer..?”
- “Horses… Goats… Applesauce”
- “the Magna Carta”